What is borg-import?¶
borg-import converts backups made with other backup software into the format used by BorgBackup.
borg-import -h for more information.
Potential advantages over manually doing it¶
Note: we have different importers and some importers may not support all the features.
- automation: less manual work, import lots of backups into a borg repo with one command
- automatically makes up borg archive name from what you give + discovered timestamp
- sets borg archive creation timestamp to the historically correct date/time
- temporarily moves the source directory so the borg files cache will speed up borg create
Currently supported import formats¶
borg-import rsnapshot SNAPSHOT_ROOT BORG_REPOSITORY
borg-import rsnapshot -h for help.
Simple rsync with hard links¶
Assumes one folder per archive, with changes being tracked based on last modification time (mtime).
borg-import rsynchl RSYNC_ROOT BORG_REPOSITORY
borg-import rsynchl -h for help.
Backup tools based on rsync with hard links¶
borg-import should, in principle, be able to import backups from any backup tool that is based on rsync with hard links. This requires that the tool matches the assumptions listed above for simple rsync.
- Quick Start
- Frequently asked questions
- Authors & License